30 Jun Happy Social Media Day!
This year will mark the seventh annual Social Media Day, an event that was first launched in 2010 by Mashable to recognize the incredible growth and impact the digital revolution has had on our world.
To get an idea of how big the impact is, take a look at these amazing stats about social media:
- There are 2.3 billion active social media users. To put that in perspective, as of July 2015, the total worldwide population is 7.3 billion and the internet has 3.17 billion users.
- 91% of retail brands use 2 or more social media channels
- Internet users have an average of 5.54 social media accounts
- Social media users have risen by 176 million in the last year
- 1 million new active mobile social users are added every day. That’s 12 each second
- There are 1.65 billion active mobile social accounts globally
- Facebook now sees 8 billion average daily video views from 500 million users
- Snapchat users watch 6 billion videos every day
- US adults spend an average of 1 hour, 16 minutes each day watching video on digital devices
- Facebook adds 500,000 new users every day; 6 new profiles every second
- There are 40 million active small business Pages
- There are 500 million Tweets sent each day. That’s 6,000 Tweets every second
- 77% of Twitter users feel more positive about a brand when their Tweet has been replied to
- There are 400 million Monthly Active Users on Instagram
- Over 80 million photos are uploaded each day on Instagram
- There are 3.5 billion Instagram Likes per day
- More than 40 billion photos have been shared so far on Instagram
Here at Gossip Genie, we are all about social media. We live, work and breathe it. So for us, every day is social media day! But this specific day allows us to reflect on the significance of social media and to highlight the ways digital culture has revolutionized how we communicate.
Want to participate in Social Media Day? Use #SMday on any social network and check out Mashable’s website for meetups in your area.